Posted in Dollhouses, The San Franciscan

First dry fit & Houston we have a problem!


So I decided to dry fit the first floor just to see how it all goes together. I know, I know, my left side wall is leaning dangerously into leaning tower of Pisa territory! I will have to do some gentle persuasion of parts (read forcing) when it comes time to attach the third floor. 🙂

I highly recommend this process, as it will show you exactly what you’ve missed. For example, I’ve now noticed that the wall with the front door cut out in it will have its sides exposed in the house so I need to paint those! Who knew! LOL

What it also showed me is that I have encountered my first “issue”.

This house consists of 6 bay window pieces that have a rebate in them to attach to the foundation. The dry fit was going swimmingly until I got to the sixth piece.



Looks fine right?…. Wrong!!

The miter angle for this part to fit to its neighbour is in the wrong direction. It should angle back behind the milled clapboard not out from it. This is what happens when you try to fit it.



It’s obviously a production error, it looks like it’s gone through the mitering process upside down. There is only one way for these pieces to fit due to the direction of the clapboard and the rebate for the foundation. Unfortunately because this is a vintage kit there is no way to get a new part. Let the problem solving begin.




It’s not only a problem because now the milled siding doesn’t meet up at the front of the bay. There is a flow on effect of it now overhanging the side wall area which means the sidewall then overhangs at the back and doesn’t meet up at the front with the rest of the building. You can see in the picture above the piece should finish at the join line on the floor.

Below is how the side wall now sits. Ummmm… No!


So I decided to start sanding the mitered edge off. I know it’s not going to solve the aesthetic problem but it will at least allow the wall piece to be shortened enough to allow the side wall to fit.


If this was the SF 555 there would be trim to cover these corners and this wouldn’t be a problem. I’ll probably just fill in these joins with some kind of wood filler/putty/spackle and then add some sort of trim similar to the 555 because I am not spackling in simulated clapboard! lol


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s